Marc Jenkins is a web designer and developer with 10+ years experience.
Hi there, I’m Marc Jenkins. I’m a web designer & developer from Birmingham, UK. I run a small web consulting studio called 16by9.
I was lucky. I knew what I wanted to do when I left school. Twelve or so years later, and I’m still doing it. That is, I design and build websites for a living.
The first website I ever built was a fansite for Command & Conquer, a real-time strategy game I loved. The site was built with tables using a programme called Microsoft FrontPage. It was terrible. It got like 1000 hits (it had a hit counter, too). I loved every second that I worked on that site.
I’ve since worked with some of the Midlands leading digital agencies, where I’ve had the opportunity to sharpen my skills as a web designer and developer. I’ve worked with brands like Mitie, Debenhams, National Express, and many more.
In 2011, I started blogging and that’s when I found a love for writing. In the intervening years, I’ve openly shared what I know and that has taught me the power of authenticity. The more I’ve shared, the more I’ve got back.
I’m a huge advocate for writing. I think it’s good for the soul. It doesn’t matter if it’s a personal journal entry or a public blog post. Writing is therapeutic. It helps clear your mind and helps you think. And it’s a great way of helping others, too. Because I’ve found it so useful, I often encourage others to write more and that’s why I started the 30 Day Writing Challenge in 2016.
After hours, I can often be found reading a good book or drinking a wee dram of whisky. I have a small-but-growing collection and love to try out new whisky’s. My favourite is Lagavulin 16. I’m also an avid motorsport fan and have followed Formula One since I was a youngster. I know pretty much every corner of every track on the current F1 calendar. That’s too many racing games for you. I’ve never attended a race though (it’s on my bucket list).
- Site is hosted on a DigitalOcean droplet and managed using ServerPilot.
- Running the latest version of WordPress.
- Custom theme, built by yours truly.
- Using the following WordPress plugins: Advanced Custom Fields Pro, BackUpWordPress, Google XML Sitemaps, Gravity Forms, WP Migrate DB Pro, and WP Super Cache.
- Typeset using System Fonts.
Contact & elsewhere
- You can see what I’m doing now or view the roadmap of this site.
- You can find me on Twitter.
- Email me directly, if you like.
- If you still do RSS, you can subscribe to the feed.
- Or join the mailing list and get new articles straight in your inbox.
- There’s also the inline-block Slack Community, where I hang out a lot.