I’m occasionally asked what tools I use so I’ve created this page to answer that question.
The hardware I use
My main computer is MacBook Pro 15″ (2018) in stock configuration, connected to a Viewsonic 32” 4K monitor via a CalDigit Element Hub. The laptop sits on a Twelve South ParcSlope stand. I use a Logitech MX Master 3 mouse and a Logitech MX Keys keyboard.
When working remotely, I’ll use my laptop with a Rooster laptop stand, an Apple Magic Keyboard, and a Magic Mouse. I keep these input peripherals in an Adore June case and I’ll throw everything in my North Face Borealis backpack.
I take photos with a Fujifilm X-T4.
The software I use
- Visual Studio Code (using the Cobalt Next theme and JetBrains Mono typeface) for web development
- iTerm2 as a terminal replacement
- Sequel Ace for managing MySQL databases
- Transmit for FTP
- Laravel Valet for my local development environment
- Craft for notes
- Google Docs/Sheets to run my business
- Todoist for task management
- Trello for project management
- Fantastical to manage my schedule
- Timery for time tracking
- 1Password to manage passwords
- Soulver for quick calculations
- Alfred for better efficiency
- Brave for web browsing
- Spark for email
- Slack for time wasting
- Spotify for music
- Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop for image editing
- Affinity Designer for vector work
- Adobe XD for wireframing
My dream setup
The next obvious upgrade is switching to an M1 Mac but my current 2018 MBP is performing admirably (with the exception of the keyboard) so I’m in no rush to upgrade.
I really really hope Apple releases a beautiful monitor that doesn’t cost $6,000. My current monitor has a great display panel, but it doesn’t charge via USB-C and it’s a little ugly looking.
At some point, I’d like to replace my office chair with a Herman Miller. They’re super-duper expensive, though, so I’m not sure when/if I’ll actually end up getting one.
If I’ve missed anything or you have questions about any of the gear I use, feel free to get in touch.